As an athlete you should certainly be on a healthy athletic-type diet that helps you maintain your performance and desired physique. But as far as a weight loss diet, that would depend if you are at an undesirable/unhealthy weight and/or your doctor recommends it. A cheerleader, like other hard working athletes, needs to be on a nutrition plan that can maximize their performance while maintaining or achieving their necessary "playing body weight".
Your overall diet should consist of ~60% carbohydrate, 20% protein, 20% fats with meals spread evenly throughout the day and properly around your activity (see below eating instructions). Carbohydrates (fruit, breads, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc) are the body’s primary and preferred energy source. Your total calories are determined by personal statistics & the body composition goal, which is often time-bound or dictated by the demands of the sport or desired appearance. The ratio & makeup within those calories can be manipulated to improve performance and outcomes.
Using the dotFIT program, you can design your ideal sports/cheerleader nutrition plan including perfect athletic menus individualized for you with proper protein requirements, meal timing and complete food plans with the correct mix of protein, fats and carbohydrates. Simply fill in your personal statistics, set your weight/performance goal and create your program. The program will automatically give you pre and post event eating plans including instructions.
Training meals and supplement timing instructions:
• Pre-training/event full food meal consumed ~2-3 hours before your major activity
– If you train first thing in the morning with no time for full meal, use pre-workout formula only but eat your pre training full meal before bedtime
• Pre-workout shake/bar: consume 10-40 min before activity
• Post- workout shake/bar (same formula as the pre): immediately after workout
• Post-training/event full food meal consumed ~1-2HRS post training
dotFIT Pre/Post Meal Replacement & Workout Formula
• Take 2 scoops 10-40 minutes before workout or use favorite dotFIT® bar for convenience
• Take 2 scoops (or dotFIT bar) immediately post workout